If you have ever experienced the luxury of a 100% silk robe, you know that there is no better feeling than this soft fabric against your skin.
But you may be surprised to know that silk is in fact just as practical as it is comfortable and beautiful. Here are 10 fun facts about this luxurious fabric...
- Silk is a NATURAL fibre made from the thread of spinning silk worms
- Silk is the FINEST and STRONGEST natural fibre in the world, and if properly cared for, items made from silk can last a lifetime
- Silk INSULATES, meaning that it cools and warms simultaneously, making it ideal for all-season wear. It’s absorbency makes it comfortable to wear in warm weather and while active and it's low conductivity keeps warm air close to the skin during cold weather
- Because of its protein structure, silk is the most naturally HYPOALLERGENIC of all fabrics
- Silk is naturally wrinkle and tear RESISTANT
- Silk is a protein fiber, meaning that is chemically quite similar to human skin.
- Silk is relatively ROBUST, despite it delicate appearance. Its smooth surface resists soil and odors well.
- The subtle shimmering appearance of silk is due to the triangular prism-like structure of the silk fibre, which allows silk cloth to refract incoming light at different angles, thus producing different colors.
- Thanks to its extremely fine and smooth fiber structure, silk FLOWS in a beautiful supple and soft way
- Silk has historical significance, as it has been used to make textiles for over 5000 years, and has been celebrated by royalty of ancient cultures across the globe